Tuesday, January 28, 2014

New History

Oh, how pretty snow is!  I wasn't expecting it to hit us here!  I was on my way home from an early grocery run this morning when flurries started and we have a nice little dusting here.  The snow flakes are teeny tiny and it's very VERY slowly building.  I expect we'll get less than a half inch, but it's always pretty to watch anyway. :-)

I realized I might need to back up and update our current situation.  These older blogs are totally outdated.  Chris is now working for Virginia Cooperative Extension and is the Agriculture and Natural Resources extension agent for our county.  I used to serve as the Agriculture Development Director for the county, but as of December 31st, I am a full time Stay at Home Mama to our beautiful baby boy Landon.

It was a long and prayerful road that led us to the decision for me to be a full time SAHM.  I made a decent salary working for the county, and obviously our biggest concern was financial. After I went through a serious internal battle with the decision, I had decided I needed to get over it and hire a babysitter so I could keep working and we wouldn't have to worry about money.  We even went so far as to go meet our sitter and get a schedule worked out with her.  She never kept Landon once.

She made a comment to me while meeting with her that basically in my eyes said she thought it would be better for Landon to come stay with her and have more of a full time routine than for me to keep him part time with me... Um, excuse me... but in what twisted world is it better for a child to spend MORE time away from his mother?!  Obviously that rubbed me the wrong way! Besides that, we thought she would be fine and would take fine care of Landon.  After we met with her, Chris went back to work and I came home with a gut wrenching feeling.  I sat on the couch and bawled my eyes out and prayed to God to show me the way. Everywhere I turned I was seeing information about SAHM's and the benefits and people struggling with being working mothers.  I felt so convicted to the core that I needed to be home with Landon, but I didn't want my decision to be based solely on my feelings of not "wanting" to leave him.  I wanted God to show me that it was in his plan for me to stay home.  And show me, he did!

I prayed very solidly and very specifically for God to throw something in my face if it was the wrong decision, and that if me staying home was in his plan for me to help us financially see it work and show us we would be ok.  Not only did he not throw anything in our face, he opened up paths that convicted and encouraged me even more!  I was obviously overjoyed with the revelation while Chris was still a little hesitant, but making the decision based on faith.

So here we are, entering our journey as a single income home, and relying on our Almighty God to take care of us and show us the way!  Any time we enter your mind, we'd love you to say a little prayer for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment